Thursday, November 13, 2008

Good news!

So I went yesterday, Got there at 2:05, did not leave until 4:55. They were all so nice, especially the mammogram tech. She told me the plan of action was for me to get an ultrasound, see if the doc could tell if it was a cyst or not from that. Then if he could, I was all done. If he couldn't, then off to mammogram I go. He wanted to do the ultrasound first due to my age, he said I was young, so I really didn't need a mammogram.

So I had the ultrasound, waited, then they came in and told me I needed to go for the mammogram. Thank goodness the mammo tech was so nice, she told me that he thought it was a cyst, but since he couldn't tell for sure, he wanted to do the mammo to cover all the bases. So off to mammo I went. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, uncomfortable, but not bad. The worst part is they put this marker (kinda like the male part of a snap) on the spot where the lump when it squished me down, that pushed into my boob. Ouchie!

I had the mammo, went back and waited some more. Then the mammo tech comes back in and says he wants to do two more views. She reassures me that it's fine, he just sees some areas he wants squished some more to get a better look. She was very reassuring, but part of me was doubting it a bit at that point...I mean, would they just tell me if something was wrong? I didn't know and let me tell you my stomach was doing flip flops all day and this didn't help!

I went and had two more views done, then back to wait some more. I swear, I felt I was on the verge of tears the whole time. Then they came and got me and I met the doc finally. He told me he was pretty certain that it was a cyst, a benign fibroadenoma. He couldn't say 100%, but he is positive it is. He wants me to go for a biopsy, to make it 100%. He said the only reason was he saw no reason to remove it and due to my age, he would like to be 100%. So I have to do that.

I'm relieved! Of course it's not 100% yet, but he seemed sure. Let me tell you, that was one of the most nerve-racking experiences in my life! My stomach was in knots. I went home and essentially laid on the couch the rest of the night. I was so done!

Thank you all for the well wishes, means so much to me, thank you!

So I have to schedule the next part of it, the biopsy. The sooner the better!


Regina said...

I know that had to be a tough day, and I too think it is just a cyst. I remember going through the same progress when I was very young. Mine was an enlarged lymph gland. I know how scared you must have been. I'll say a prayer that nothing but good things will come from the biopsy!

Rona's Home Page said...

It can be a tough thing to go through. I've had my bout with cervical and the multiple ultrasounds for my breasts.
I sweated each one.
I will continue to pray for you.

momstheword said...

I think you'll be glad you had a biopsy. I know that I was glad when I had mine!