Monday, November 3, 2008

The Best Apple Pie Muffins Ever

Ok, I have to say...don't know if these are the BEST, but they are good! I could eat the topping after it's bakes on it's own...chewy and yummy. I made a dozen regular and I think about 18 minis. The topping kind of ran off a bit, I was sad. These need a bit more oomph to them...more spice. If you ever don't have enough batter to fill your muffin tins (as was the case for my minis, just fill the empty holes with water.)

As always, my changes are in bold or in parentheses.

The Best Apple Pie Muffins Ever

Topping
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Muffins
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/3 c applesauce and 1/3 c oil)
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups diced peeled firm tart apples (such as Spy, Granny Smith)
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

Topping: In a small bowl toss together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; set aside.

Muffins:
1. Prehaeat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda and salt.
3. Stir oil mixture into flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
4. Fold in apples, mixing just until combined.
5. Spoon into greased muffin cups filling 3/4 full.
6. Sprinkle topping over evenly.
7. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and tops spring back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll have to copy this one and make it for our customers.
Sounds pretty good.