Monday, October 27, 2008

Clam Chowder

My Best Clam Chowder—my changes are bolded or in parentheses.
Originally from All Recipes.

INGREDIENTS:
3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams (I used 2 (6.5 oz) cans minced and 1 (10 oz) can whole baby clams)
1 cup minced onion (I used dried)
1 cup diced celery (omitted)
2 cups cubed potatoes (did not peel, used white)
1 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup butter (combo of ICBINB and butter)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart half-and-half cream (I used ff half-and-half)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
I added: 6 slices of bacon, a sprinkling of Old Bay, a smidge of garlic powder, a dash of cayenne

DIRECTIONS:
1. Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Fry bacon til crisp, add. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.

2. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.

3. Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.


If you are in the mood for some clam chowder, try this! MMMM! I cooked up 6 slices of bacon til crisp, added it to the rest. Next time, I think I might up the veggies some more. I also added some Old Bay, cayenne, garlic powder. This stuff is gooooood!!

No comments: